Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mark's sign, progress


I have been hard at work on Mark's sign. First, I had to find some sort of decent material to paint on... So I went to home depot and bought probably their most expensive (and heaviest) plywood. It says cabinet grade on it, but I was mostly just looking for the smoothest option. Its like 7 or 8 ply thick... heavy duty!

My next big problem was where I was going to paint it. A 4' x 8' sheet of anything isn't going to fit up my stairs to the 3rd floor, so I was going to paint it out back or in the basement. But then, OH YEAH! I forgot that our house was being painted, so out back wouldn't work... and going in and out of the house at all isn't that good either b/c they are addressing the lead paint issue. SO I was really stuck until my friend Chris offered the basement of his coffeehouse downtown to me! Awesome Chris! Front Street Coffeehouse, if you are local.

So yesterday I spent the whole day prepping and sanding and priming and blocking out the shape of the sign. I will be trimming it down a little before I deliver it next week to give it some rounded edges etc. You can see where it will be cut in the picture below. All the primer grey will be gone, and the edges of the sign beveled, sealed and painted.

So here ya go mark! Slightly different than the concept art, but I think this will be easier to read and wont be so crowded. I still have a little touching up to do on this part, but it is mostly done. First thing tomorrow I will do that, then work on the bus image and finally the phone number and address. Click images for bigger pics.


Standing back a little:



...and a close up:

No comments:

Post a Comment