Thursday, March 31, 2011

Festival season is coming!

Today I spent most of my day waiting for canvases to dry (another Snoopy project!) While I waited, I decided to come up w/ screen print ideas based off my artwork. These are all paintings I did at one point of another and have reduced them to simple designs easily transferred to screens for printing.

These jpegs are as I might print them in black. Obviously I wouldn't just offer black nor would my subject matter be strictly vw-related. But I can see myself showing up at a vw show/ music festival and printing to order on site under my ez-up awning. Since I don't want to print multi-color right now, this concept is easily accomplished outside in a show environment. :D

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Andrew's painting.

This is for Andrew. He wanted an illustration of mortality, but with out being morbid about it. I settled on a candle, recently extinguished. The mortality symbolism seemed obvious and I really wanted to paint smoke!

There is a glare in the picture that hides part of the painting so I will do my best to get a better image.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A tattoo design for DJ!

My brother DJ out in Washington wants a lion tattoo. Naturally he turned to his big brother for the design! :D

So instead of referencing lions in their usual meat-comprised format, I focused more on statues of lions. I would expect it is safer to get dramatic photos of stone lions than it is of regular lions.

So here is a scan of my original sketch:

And my various color edits as I play around a little bit. The last two are probably the most ideal for tattoo purposes.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Some background choices for Andrew

Just some new/ unused background canvases for Andrew from NYC to chose from. There are more in progress, but this is whats up for now!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Lots of colors!

More color variations for justin:

quick post for justin

I simplified the color palette as I have been asked to do these as t-shirts. The warm multi-color layer represents a smear of colors that I can do when printing. I am contemplating doing this w/ the greens too. We will see what it looks like when I get back from picking up Jessica from the T.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Lesley's finished project.

Well, after spending a week working on this and almost entirely ignoring the internet, I think it is finally finished! The colors are a departure from my usual palette, but I think it suits the temperament of the painting and is correct for its intended destination. I ended up re-painting the entire thing, and changed most of the colors after finishing on Thursday. Initially I was going w/ a tonal scale but when I started painting, I didn't... not sure why. I had the full color range, just like many of my other paintings. It just didn't finish right so I used a tonal scale and kept it within a certain color range.

Here is how it is now. I am happy with it!

2'x 2' acrylic on stretched canvas.

and the low res cell phone pic of the abandoned color scheme (now gone):