Thursday, February 24, 2011

A posting for Lesley

This week I have been working on a surprise painting for Lesley's mom (Eileen) in California. The painting's subject is a 10 year old rescue E. German shepherd named "Tara II" that has had some recent health issues. Luckily surgery went well and Tara II is doing much better, but the ordeal was rough on Lesley's mom. So to celebrate the strong bond between Eileen and Tara II, Lesley has commissioned me to create one of my colorful dog portraits! A 2'x 2' acrylic painting on stretched canvas.

After a long weekend painting Christian's wedding portrait, I took Tuesday off (sanity, right?). So on Wednesday I created a background suitable for this project. One of the only stipulations that Lesley had was that the background be neither orange nor green, as her mother is not a fan of either of those. So I went with a purple theme, layering reds, blues and purples to achieve this effect. I followed the layering w/ a lot of sanding to get a nice weathered look. I followed this w/ a subtle airbrushed vignette of magenta over purple, and finished it off by spattering some yellow and magenta (allowing time to dry between so to avoid orange cross contamination!)

Here is the product of that effort (click image for a larger view):



Today, I have been blocking out the lighter areas with white so that my colors wont need 35 coats to cover. The white areas here represent the placement of 6 colors on the finished painting. I am still debating the final color scheme, but I am probably going to try something new and go with tonal gradients instead of a spectrum of colors. What I mean by this is that instead of having white, yellow, orange, red...etc (like a rainbow) I will choose 2 or 3 colors and use varying amounts of white in each to create a slightly more subdued, grounded painting. We will see how it turns out! As always, If I don't like how it's going I reserve the right to change my mind! Please take note that the colors of both of these photos are slightly off due to the lighting in my studio.

Here is today's progress (click image for a larger view):

No comments:

Post a Comment