Monday, August 23, 2010

Work to do!

So lots of progress on several fronts today and over the weekend! The moderator mystery has been solved, the bike project has gone in a slightly different direction, some of Jessica's old beaded jewelery saw the light again, and I finished up a painting.

First, the moderator mystery! So the Full moon bus club website (www.fullmoonbusclub.com)crashed a couple months back. Maybe it was attacked or somebody in charge decided to lash out or something. But either way, the result was that the site was down for months. Well I am happy to say that recently it was re-born! A new clean slate for everyone involved... and apparently a lot of it was due to three members working extra hard to get everything sorted out.
Most of the time all the thanks they get is a pat on the back or a cold beer at the next camp out. Well this time the moderators got together and decided to hire me to paint portraits of their buses! Good news indeed! What they want are three (1' x 3') paintings of the outstanding members respective buses.

And snoopy wants one too :D


Second on my list of updates is that I got to talking with Rockhopper (the guy with the bike in my last post) and we have decided that instead of going for pin stripes and gloss black/ antique white... we would go for the steampunk look. This has been a point of great excitement for me because I have been secretly been toying with the idea of applying this style to my 64 bug.
The easiest way to describe the "steampunk" art style is to liken it to the purely mechanical, steam-driven inventions around the turn of the century... a good pop culture example would be the giant robot spider vehicle from the Wild Wild West movie w/ Will Smith. It's as if Victorian-era style and sensibilities combined with a slightly more technologically advanced mechanical ingenuity all with a science fiction overlay.
Since the style is designed to emulate an earlier stage in our development, a prevalence of brass and copper is necessary. Also mechanical cast iron, straps, pipes, rivets etc. should be incorporated. I expect to become real good at painting rivets w/ my airbrush and have a solid understanding of Rub 'n Buff :D


This weekend while I was busy painting, Jessica did a lot of organizing and came out of it with a box of beaded necklaces, bracelets, and earrings that she made a couple of years ago. She had placed them up for sale back when we lived in CT at a consignment shop in town. When we moved to MA we asked for them back and then promptly lost them in the move. Well as they never really were designed for us to hold on to them, I just put them all up on my flickr page. Then I linked my fb accounts, fmbc site and now this blog to the flickr set in hopes of making a few bucks. You will have to cut and paste b/c I haven't figured out how to make a working link yet:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenneth-mitchell/sets/72157624666777983/

In my list of updates I also said I finished a painting. Now I can't say who it is for or who bought it as this piece is supposed to be under wraps... but as I just started this blog and I haven't advertised it much yet, there is little chance posting it up here will hurt. So here you go, I have to share a finished product with someone!



My next project will be for steelersbus... A painting of his two buses as mentioned earlier... also LynnandJ need a VERY LONG OVERDUE drawing and Richard from Ontario wants a painting of his new red under white ASI Riviera camper.

Ok, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment